Track Meeting is rescheduled for Thrusday, March 16th.
Please join the OCIS Track 2017 "Remind" App.
1. Take out your phone.
2. Enter this number in the "TO:" section of the texting page: 81010
3. Text this message: @ocist
This is the website to check for updated schedule-postponed or cancelled meets.
Please check school (track) calendar for practice and meet schedule
The 2017 season is getting ready to begin. All perspective track and field members should be running and getting in shape for the season.
- Mandatory 2017 meeting will be held in Mrs. Parker's room (#118) on Thursday, March 16th. Practice begins on Monday, March 27th.
- All physicals should be turned into and/or updated ASAP. You may not attend practice [by law] until all physicals and online "nurse's" forms are complete.
- Please make sure you pick up a track and field packet from Mr. Barbato or Mrs. Parker.
- The 2017 calander is attached under "File Manager"
Track Meets: All Track Meets begin at 4PM. Most track meets end @5PM.
- All of our meets are Away Meets this year except one. All members of the track team will ride the bus to and from the meet. If you wish to bring your child home from the meet, the "offical" parent pick up form must be completed and signed by the principal. The coaches and the main office will have the form.
Please check out the above link. It has a wonderful host of videos to show you how to properly stretch, proper form, and teaches you how to pace yourself.
Please check the calendar for our 2011 practice and meet schedule.
4x400 Relay (1600 Relay)
The 200 and 400 meter races are two track and field events that can be considered sprints.
Those running events considered to be "middle distance" events include the 800 and 1,600 (1 mile) races. There are also two "relay" events, which feature four runners each running one leg of the race. Each runner passes a baton to the next to signify the transition from one leg to another. The two most common relays are the 4x100 - 400 meters total, each athlete runs 100 meters - and the 4x200 or 800 meters total.
Within the field events in track and field, there are also two main categories: throwing and jumping. The two throwing events are discus and shot put. Discus involves the longest throw, as it uses a disc. The shot put is a heavy ball, so this event involves shorter throws.
There are also a jumping event in track and field, the long jump. The long jump requires athletes to jump far. In the long jump, the athlete takes a long running start before jumping as far as he or she can into a pit of sand.